1. Title: The Curly Fry Conundrum: Why Social Media “likes” Say More Than You Might Think
2. Speaker: Jennifer Golbeck
3. Presentation Date: October 2013
4. Date Viewed: September 2014
5. Summary of the Talk: Jennifer Golbeck explains how the social media phenomenon of "liking" things on Facebook can help others guess things about you from these random Likes and Shares. As a computer scientist, Jennifer discusses how some applications of the technology are not so cute — and why she thinks we should return the control of information to its rightful owners.
6. Interesting Things I Learned from the Talk: Computer scientists work to collect information from only the content that you "like" on Facebook to establish a behavioral analysis. This can include non-obvious indicators, an example given is how store detect that a woman is pregnant because she is buying more vitamins (among other indicators). They can detect this so accurately that they can even determine when the woman's due date is.
7. Evaluation of the Presenter: Jennifer Golbeck is very knowledgeable and I enjoyed listening to her TED Talk. Her sense of humor that she uses why also giving you interesting information makes her very easy to listen to.
8. Evaluation of the Talk: I found this talk very interesting because as a user of social media I am always interested in how I can have more control over the information that is put out for everyone to see.
No comments:
Post a Comment